When To See A Doctor About Mouth Ulcers

What are mouth ulcers?

Mouth ulcers are a common issue that can appear seemingly for no reason. They are small and tend to appear inside the mouth on the cheeks, tongue or lips, and can form on their own or in groups.

They can be very painful and uncomfortable but often go away on their own and are not usually a cause of concern. However, there are some cases where you should consider seeing an ENT specialist about your mouth ulcers. In this blog, we will reveal when to see a doctor about mouth ulcers.

How long do mouth ulcers take to heal?

Mouth ulcers typically disappear without treatment after around a week. However, if your mouth ulcer has lasted longer than three weeks, this is when you should see a specialist.
You should also see a doctor if you suffer from recurrent mouth ulcers. This can sometimes be a symptom of a general health condition not related to the mouth so it is best to get it checked to determine the underlying cause and receive treatment to keep the ulcers at bay.

For more information, please read our article on ‘What mouth ulcers could tell you about your health’.

Large mouth ulcers

Mouth ulcers are often very small despite causing a lot of irritation. If you notice an ulcer that seems bigger than usual, this could be a cause to see a doctor. This is especially the case if it is located near the back of your throat and is affecting your ability to swallow.

Bleeding mouth ulcers

You may consider booking an appointment if you have a mouth ulcer that is bleeding, or very painful and appears red. This can be a sign of an infection or cancer that will not get better on its own and requires medical attention. Infections can be avoided by trying to prevent irritating the ulcer, such as by touching it as little as possible with your tongue and teeth, eating soft foods and using a soft-bristled toothbrush.

Mouth ulcers accompanied by ill health

If you are feeling ill alongside having mouth ulcers you should see a doctor. This can include having a fever or feeling lethargic. This can indicate that there could be an underlying health issue; a doctor or ENT specialist can help to determine what this may be.

If any of the above applies to you, book a consultation with ENT Sheffield today. We can get to the root of the problem and recommend the most effective treatment for you.