Tongue ulcers are painful and can lead to eating and swallowing difficulties. Regardless of the cause of tongue ulcers, they can make it hard to drink or eat anything. In most cases, these ulcers go away without any intervention after a few weeks, but there are a few natural remedies you can try. Read on to find out the top home remedies for tongue ulcers and when you should contact a doctor for professional treatment.
Tongue ulcers causes
Several factors can contribute to developing tongue ulcers, including the following:
- Accidental bites on your cheek or tongue
- Ill-fitting braces and dentures
- Dental procedures that may cause tissue damage
- Hormonal changes
- Sleep apnoea or lack of sufficient sleep
- Feeling anxious, stressed or tired
Tongue ulcers symptoms
Here are some of the symptoms you may experience when tongue ulcers develop in your mouth:
- Pain and swelling around the tongue ulcers
- Increased pain when eating sour, salty or spicy foods
- Brushing your teeth also heightens the pain around the ulcers
Tongue ulcers home remedies
- Coconut oil: Applying coconut oil may help to reduce sensitivity.
- Saltwater: Regularly using saltwater to rinse your mouth can help soothe and heal tongue ulcers.
- Honey: Honey possesses anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. It can be effective in reducing pain and redness.
- Aloe vera: Drinking aloe vera juices can help soothe the pain.
- Avoiding anything that causes tongue or mouth ulcers: The other way to manage these ulcers is to avoid any triggers that may cause ulcers, like spicy foods or drinking hot drinks.
Seek medical assistance
Even though several studies show that specific home remedies can help manage tongue ulcers at home, your best bet would be to seek medical assistance. Consider seeing a doctor if your mouth or tongue ulcers keep coming back, grow bigger, last longer than three weeks, bleed or become more red and painful.
An ENT specialist will give you an accurate diagnosis regarding the cause of the ulcers and recommendations on the most effective treatment. Treatment will aim to diagnose the cause, exclude cancer, minimise the pain, quicken the healing process, and reduce the likelihood of recurrence. Contact ENT Sheffield today to book a comprehensive consultation and get effective treatment for your tongue ulcers.